I am posting this on behalf of a colleague who is not on Lis-Link.

Please could you reply to her directly, we will summarise for the list.
Thank you.

Helen Kershaw
Imperial College

Cardless Visits

The libraries at Imperial College are considering the problem of library
users who repeatedly forget to bring their library cards with them when they
visit the library. At present we ask them to show some alternative ID, get
them to sign in a visitors' book and give them a day ticket to come through
our turnstile entrance. However, as we have some users who persist in
forgetting their cards we are now thinking of  imposing some form of
deterrence. One idea is to allow only 3 cardless visits per term whereby
anyone coming to the library for a fourth time without their card will be
refused admission.

Before we proceed I would be very grateful to hear from anyone else who
operates such a policy. In particular it would be helpful to know

 1.     if such a penalty works as a deterrence

2.      is it worth the extra work involved

3.      how do you draw attention to the policy (handouts, web page, library
regulations)

4.      any exceptions allowed

5.      particular problems caused by operating such a policy

Many thanks,

Rita Clode
Head of Issue Desk
Central Library