-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Joseph Chamberlain
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 5:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Elsevier

May I add to the correspondence on Elsevier?

The correspondence centres on a dispute between librarians and Elsevier.
However, the third party is the user of the journals.  If you want to impose
sanctions on the publisher you will have to do it via the user.  Are the
scientists aware of the exorbitant prices charged by Elsevier and the
devious
tricks they use to bump up prices?  Would scientists decide not to send
their
work to Elsevier journals if they were aware?

If the 'impact factor can distort the apparent worth of a journal and change
scientists' attitude to journals, you might consider whether an equivalent
factor for price-benefit might have a similar effect.

Just a thought.

Dr Joseph Chamberlain