Hi,

I am pleased to inform the list that our problems with access to the
Scientific American Online Archive have now been resolved and our
institutional access reinstated. I also now know that we have not been the
only institution affected by this. Apparently the problem was caused during
the transfer of responsibility for the licensing from Macmillan Publishers
UK to their American company. It's just a pity that no one at Macmillan
Publishers UK was able to tell me that this had happened, and take some
responsibility to assist me in getting this sorted out, when I spoke to them
yesterday. Basically I was left to try and find a contact in the States who
I can speak to to get this sorted out. When I finally reached this person
and explained the situation, our records were quickly retrieved, the problem
pinpointed (but not identified to me) and our access restored. Thanks to
Linda Chu, Macmillan Online Publishers, North America, for getting this
resolved so swiftly. I still don't know when our loss of access occurred.

However, the ease with which a subscription can fall over without the
subscriber being notified remains of major concern.  We are after all paying
real money for these products. Such loss of access also reflects badly on
the subscribing institution as we usually take the blame when subscriptions
fall over. Linda Chu said that all existing subscribers had been notified of
this, but couldn't explain why an email had not come to myself. I guess it's
just another glitch in the system!

All these problems tend to be quite easy to sort out once you can get to
speak to the right person, but why are they arising in the first place? and
why are their no additional measures in place to identify potential
problems.

Cheers
Lesley