I agree with the comments as regards to new orders. During the ordering
process subscription agents should enquire whether or not the "subscriber"
would like to have their online access activated and undertake this process.
The subscription agents will be in possession of the new subscription
number. They will be dealing with the publishers subscription departments as
well - could publishers subscription departments not automatically ask
subscription agents if online access is required at the time of order?

Institutions could provide (if they have not all ready!) subscription agents
with IP addresses and suggested usernames and passwords.

It would also be very useful if subscription agents supplied us with
publisher subscription numbers on annual invoices for example. I am sure
that subscription agents would prefer this option rather than having to deal
with a never ending stream of e-mail requests from institutions for
information on subscription numbers.

I do not think that the method of obtaining subscription numbers from
mailing labels is very effective. A journal may only be published two or
three times a year and if you have to wait on a mailing label to obtain a
subscription number, you could be waiting some time!

Sharron
Sharron Wilson
BCS Faculty Librarian & Periodicals Librarian
Queen Margaret University College
Clerwood Terrace
Edinburgh
EH12 8TS

Tel:(0131) 317 3174
Fax:(0131) 339 7057

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We have had similar experiences with trying to set up e-access, though we
have our journals sent direct. Finding numbers on mailing labels is OK for
an individual, but not for any library of even moderate size. Could
publishers or agents arrange to send us details of our subscription numbers
as part of the renewals confirmation process?

Margaret Clennett

Margaret A Clennett
Chief Librarian Public Health Laboratory Service
61 Colindale Avenue
London NW9 5HT
0208 200 4400 ext 4617
e-mail [log in to unmask]
or       [log in to unmask]

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential
and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of
the PHLS, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or
any part of it.

For information on how to send data to the PHLS in encrypted form via
E.Mail, visit www.phls.org.uk.

This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer
viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving.

HTTP://www.phls.org.uk