I think that E.P. Goldfinch will find that most libraries do respond to
expressed user wishes as he had hoped.  The mismatch is not between
user requirements and library responses, but between users' perception
and articulation of their requirements and the reality.  The chief
advantage of the package or bundle approach, in my view, is that it
allows users access to articles in journals which they had not
previously recognised as valuable sources, but which do
occasionally publish relevant material.

I recall hearing a University Librarian explain to a conference that
she had discovered that only one book in every four in her collection
of Italian literature had ever been read.  This discovery seemed to
offer potential savings of 75% on her Italian book budget.  The problem
was to identify in advance of purchase which books would be read and
which would not - so that she could buy only the former.  In serials,
the package approach (if properly priced) solves this conundrum.

Dr Peter King
Assistant Director (Information Management)
University of Bristol Information Services
Tyndall Avenue, Bristol BS8 1TJ.

Tel. +44 (0)117 928 8005
Fax. +44 (0)117 925 5334
Email [log in to unmask]