Judy,

Others with more legal knowledge may disagree with me but my
interpretation is that we have paid for access to the content of a title
for all our staff and students and how we provide links to this content
is our affair. I have not seen a site licence that specified how we made
the content available only that we must restrict it to staff and students
(and sometimes walk-in users).

Even if there were such a rule (about a direct link) we could still give
the bibliographic details and link to the journal title (or the host
service where a direct link is not possible for technical reasons).

Just my opinion. I will be interested to see the opinion of others
especially those with a deeper legal knowledge of this area.

Regards

John Smith,
The Templeman Library,
University of Kent at Canterbury.