I mentioned budgets, not just in universities, but also in the public library sector (I used some info from public library friends)-  journal inflation over the years, cutbacks in book funds and staffing, the effects they have etc, the need for better budgeting and stock selection skills when money is tight.  I also mentioned the role of public libraries in society compared to academic ones and something about the challenges public librarians face in comparison.  I wrote about reading this and other lists, LA Record and other journals etc.  I seem to remember I also said something about IT developments, effects of electronic journals, training opportunties and keeping up to date.

I should think the changes regarding LA/CILIP and possible implications might be a good current one.   The recent changes to course pack/copyright and the effects that might have might be something for academic librarians, or maybe marketing of library services or the changing role and image of librarians, especially with teaching and IT (as often non-library people still think it's all about stamping books and say sssh!).

It sounds like a lot, but I only did an odd sentence or two here and there (not a whole section or anything).  To be honest I was worried about this too and I admit I trawled back through a few journals when I'd almost finished and picked out one or two other bits and pieces thought I should mention.

Hope this helps, I am very relieved to say that mine wasn't returned.
Deb

> *the only people I know of who've had their PDRs returned have been
> rejected because they hadn't demonstrated sufficient awareness of wider
> professional developments.

I still have this fear that I might be missing something major and end up
looking completely stupid by not mentioning it at all! So, for my reassurance
(and perhaps that of others on the list), what "wider professional developments"
are people who are currently writing their PDRs discussing?