Dear all,

I know from recent postings that some of the people on this list are having trouble cutting down the number of words in their PDR.  I was facing the same problem until last week when I found out about the Autosummarise facility on Word.  It highlights what it considers to be the important bits and then you can see whether you agree with the bits that it suggests you cut.  You DO have to be discerning and use your own judgement rather than relying on it - it will suggesting cutting some really good stuff but don't! - but I have found that it has identified sentences and paragraphs that I really can do without.  Once I'd used it to cut out about 500 words I got inspired and managed to cut the rest myself.

If you'd like to try it out, it's within the Tools menu. Choose the option to highlight the main points and then choose the percentage of the original that you want to keep.  You can do it on whole documents or on chapters/individual sections.

Hopefully, after three long years, I'll be able to submit at the end of the month - hurrah!  Good luck to everyone else trying to meet the October deadline.

Karyn.

Karyn Meaden
Assistant Librarian: Internet Developments
Kings Norton Library
Cranfield University
Cranfield, Bedfordshire.
MK43 0AL.

This communication is sent in confidence to the named recipient only. If you are not the named recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email.

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the corporate views of Cranfield University. Cranfield University accepts no liability for the content of this email or the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.