I remember the Guardian table. I work for a law firm now, and having
heard more than one solicitor describing librarians as "leeches" (being
called a bloodsucker by a lawyer does smart a little), I was rather
chuffed to see lawyers come in at 89th. Just above MPs and estate agents
I believe.

Richard

>>> "Kimber, CE (Catherine)" <[log in to unmask]> 20/06/02 10:03:52

I think librarians were about 12th in the Guardian table of esteemed
professions - pretty good I thought.

Pay varies widely across different sectors - I think CILIP publishes
rates
by sector.  Someone in a previous message was complaining about 16k a
year,
but I think a lot of NHS and school librarians would consider that
riches
beyond compare, certainly where I used to work in the North East.

Catherine