We would be grateful if list-members could bring the following to the attention of any graduate students working on related topics:

‘Romanization’: a post-graduate conference

Following on from the success of last year’s colloquium (‘Sicily and Italy in the age of the Roman Republic: issues of cultural change and directions of study’), we will be holding a similar event, at the Institute of Classical Studies, London, on Saturday November 16th of this year.

Romanization studies over the past few years have witnessed a proliferation of problematic concepts, applied in various geographical and temporal contexts. This conference aims to generate substantive examples of the application of these concepts, while also inviting critiques of the state of the field and discussion of alternative models.

Post-graduates are invited to offer short papers (20 minutes) on any aspect of Romanization. We impose no geographical constraints, but we do ask that papers are confined to the pre-Augustan period. For more information, see the following website:

http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucrajrp/ics/romanize.htm

Alternatively, contact the organizers via email at:

Andrew Merryweather (Sydney)

Jonathan Prag (UCL)