a very intrigung paper - just out ... worth a look perhaps - only 5 pages
long. Reported on the BBC online news ... If anyone would like a copy -
email me and I'll send you the pdf (244k)

Regards .. Paul

1: Neuroscience Letters  2002 Aug 23;329(1):91-95

Micrometer-sized particles in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in patients with
schizophrenia.

Wetterberg L, Nybom R, Bratlid T, Fladby T, Olsson B, Wigzell H.

Department of Psychiatry, The Karolinska Institute, St. Goran's Hospital,
S-112 81, Stockholm, Sweden

The etiology of schizophrenia is unknown, but the pathogenetic process
involves organic changes in brain tissue, which may alter the composition of
cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). For the present study, CSF was obtained by lumbar
puncture from 22 schizophrenic patients and 38 control patients. We have
used scanning electron microscopy combined with filtration techniques to
search for pathogenic correlates and diagnostic biomarkers in the
nano-micrometer range. Micrometer-sized spherical particles were isolated
from CSF in 20 of the 22 patients with schizophrenia compared to only two of
the 38 controls (P<0.001). Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction
analysis did not reveal bacterial DNA material in the particles. The
particles have not replicated in culture. The micrometer-sized particles may
serve as biological disease markers in schizophrenia. Hypothetically, they
may be involved in development of the disease or may result from the disease
process in brains of schizophrenic patients.

Paul Barrett                                   DDI: +64-(0)9-262-6082
email: [log in to unmask]            Main: +64-(0)9-261-0221
       [log in to unmask]               Fax: +64-(0)9-262-6290
       [log in to unmask]                 Mobile: +64-021-415625
                                     UK Efax/Voice: 0845-334-3038
Web:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~pbarrett/paulhome.htm
       http://www.mariner7.com/