----- Original Message -----
From: Jean Conacher <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Linguanet' <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 2:54 PM
Subject: CFP: CHANGING PERSPECTIVES IN LANGUAGE RESEARCH

The Scottish Centre for Information on Language Teaching and Research
(Scottish CILT) is pleased to invite proposals for papers for its
forthcoming conference on CHANGING PERSPECTIVES IN LANGUAGE RESEARCH which
will be held on 20-21st June 2002 at the University of Stirling. DEADLINE
for proposals: 28 February 2002. Further details are given below and you can
now visit the conference website at
http://www.scilt.stir.ac.uk/Conferences/2002/JuneConference/index.htm

*************
CHANGING PERSPECTIVES IN LANGUAGE RESEARCH
20-21 June 2002, University of Stirling Management Centre

Call for Papers (Deadline 28 February 2002)
Language research today displays great diversity in theme, approach and
context. Language researchers are ideally placed to make a vital
contribution to current debates on social, cultural and linguistic diversity
and the challenges of the information revolution. However, there is a risk
of fragmentation, which means the impact of this research could become lost
in a broader public and political context. What role can we play in shaping
ideas and integrating policy and practice? What research should we be
undertaking? How can we be more effective? How can we promote language
research? This conference brings together researchers from a range of
language-related disciplines to debate these issues and work towards
developing a common agenda.

The conference is organised by Scottish CILT under the auspices of the
SHEFC-funded SCOTLANG project whose aim is to develop the infrastructure for
research into languages issues in Scotland.

We welcome contributions on recent or current language research projects in
the fields of

modern languages
community and heritage languages (including BSL)
education
English language teaching
culture and media studies
business and management
communication studies
applied linguistics
language and society

Format
Paper presentations: 20 minutes for presentation followed by 10 minutes
discussion. Contributions must be original. A selection of papers from the
conference will be published.

Proposals of 200 words in length and including contact details for the first
named presenter should be submitted electronically to Dr Jean E Conacher:

or by fax or by post to Joanna McPake:
Scottish CILT, Institute of Education, University of Stirling, STIRLING, FK9
4LA, UK
Fax: +44 (0)1786 466291

Deadline: 28 February 2002

Conference website:

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA.  Privileged/Confidential Information may