I am with the past and (un) lamented? head of the QAA, John Randall, on this one. You either achieve a level or you dont.

So it has to be pass / refer. Whilst entertaining the theoretical possibility of "fail" - is it ever employed? There are potentially significant repercussions in terms of competence to teach in the sector (unless, as the adage has it "those who cant, administer those who do")

The levels debate is similarly challenging. It is difficult to see how some of the technical skills involved in the"act" of teaching, writing on a chalk or white board/ focusing th OHP etc can be seen as M-level ( except for those who remember the sabre tooth curriculum). In focusing on some of the "higher level" outcomes there is similarly a danger that the "act" becomes secondary.

I shall be interested to hear more of the debate at the meeting Sally mentioned , scheduled for May

--
Regards,

Richard Harris
In a world of change, the learners shall inherit the earth
whilst the learned find themselves perfectly suited to a world
that no longer exists [eric hoffer]