Smashing debate, thanks Andy for starting it.

Thanks Phil Davies from Glamorgan for asking 'does anyone teach exam
skills?' - I did so myself there for many years until 1995, both on request
in courses, and as open evening sessions (which had to be repeated sometimes
when G219 was full). I'm the first to admit one can't really 'teach' these
skills, but I reckon one can alert students to how and where they may choose
to work at polishing them up.

Thanks also Anne, for sharing your excellent materials on this.

Back to the question. I too believe that students should have the
opportunity to see and discuss their exam scripts. Not many in practice want
to, but I think those that should deserve to see them.

I'm not suggesting for a moment, though, that we should all write up exam
scripts with the sort of feedback we'd put on coursework - that's just far
too much work, and (more importantly) students don't need all that feedback.
For most students, simply seeing where they scored and where they didn't is
enough - they twig where they lost marks and how, and can ask us for detail
if puzzled.

My arguments for allowing students to see their scripts are of course:
(1) to see what they got right
(2) to see what they got wrong (and why)
(3) (most importantly) to check my totalling of their marks!

It scares me rigid when there remain in the system possibilities for no-one
but the marker to add up the subtotals.

I'm attaching a somewhat provocative little discussion paper I wrote last
week for workshops at Leeds, called 'Why fix assessment?'. The paper has
gone down well this week here, so I'd like to share it with you. I would of
course enjoy some feedback.

Cheers,
Phil