Dear Colleagues,

We still have a few spaces open for Purdue University's field trip to the
Alps (see below). Deadline for registration is May 1, 2002.
       This trip is designed for undergraduate Earth Science students, and
students from any university can sign up and receive credit.  It will be a
great experience for any undergraduate interested in geology.
        I would be grateful, if you could please post and forward this
announcement and bring it to the attention of your students again.

        Thanks very much for your help,

                                        Reto

Field Trip to the Central Alps
EAS 591S             3 Credits
Instructor:     Reto Gieré (Purdue University)
Dates:           July 8 - 25, 2002

Purpose:
The purpose of this trip is to further your understanding of orogenic
processes and to raise your awareness of Alpine ecosystems. We will explore
all aspects of Geology by visiting classic geological localities; an
underground research laboratory, a fissure filled with gigantic crystals,
the construction site of the world's longest tunnel; and the mantle-crust
boundary. We will also study important historic monuments, and learn how
geological phenomena affect the daily life of mountain communities. This is
Purdue's official contribution to the United Nations' International Year of
Mountains.

Study Topics:
Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Tectonics, and Structural Geology of the major
tectonic units; Geophysics, Geochemistry and Petrology of Granitic
Intrusions; Regional and Contact Metamorphism; Geology of the Mantle, Lower
Continental Crust, and of the Oceanic Crust; Fault Geometry and Mechanisms;
Geologic boundary between Africa and Europe; Geomorphology; Glaciology;
Engineering Geology; Cultural Anthropology; History; and Architecture.

Countries visited:
Switzerland and Italy

Prerequisites:
Consent of instructor.

Credit Requirements:
Students must read assigned papers; submit a 10-page research paper about a
specific topic; keep a detailed record of their observations (notes with
drawings and photographs); participate in all activities; and perform
various field exercises.  Auditors are also welcome!

Important:
This trip will include several long hikes in Alpine terrain and at high
altitude. You must be in good physical shape to participate.  Accommodation
will be in small inns and simple mountain cabins in Switzerland and Italy.

For more information, please visit our web pages at:
http://www.eas.purdue.edu/people/facpage/giere.html
      (direct link to the trip details)

http://www.cll.purdue.edu
      (click on educational travel, applications forms, logistics)

or contact your instructor at:

Dr. Reto Giere
Associate Professor of Geochemistry
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1397, USA
phone:  765-494-0044  (UTC - 5)
fax:      765-496-1210
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.eas.purdue.edu/people/facpage/giere.html

Editor
Swiss Bulletin of Mineralogy and Petrology
http://therion.minpet.unibas.ch/aliens/smpm/default.html