Hi.

> Where do we find the random effect variance (REV)? Mixed effects variance
> (MEV)? averaged Fixed effects variance?
>  we suspect to find these in the following files:
>

> *.gfeat/varcope1

This is the variances from the lower-level which feed into the
mixed-effects variance estimation. As such it can be considered the
(not-yet-pooled) fixed-effects variance; it's probably not much use to
you.

> *.gfeat/cope1.feat/stats/varcope1

this is the mixed-effects variance, ie the variance associated with the
estimate of the effect (cope1).

> *.gfeat/cope1.feat/stats/mean_random_effects_var1

this is the mean posterior random effects variance - probably not much use
to you.

> is it really the MEV that is used to generate the z-scores?

Kind of, yes. It is in the case of OLS. In the case of FLAME, the final T
distribution is estimated directly with EM/MCMC, not via cope/se(cope).

        Hope this makes sense! Steve.

 Stephen M. Smith
 Head of Image Analysis, FMRIB

 Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
 +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)

 [log in to unmask]  http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve