(Please forward your suggestions to Sarah Bernhardt at [log in to unmask])

Dear friends and collegues,
my name is Sarah Bernhardt, I'm a young Italian Public Health doctor.
At the end of august I'll leave for the border Myanmar-Thailand where a
minority called Karen leaves. I'll leave with a very small NGO, full of good
willing but poor of experience, and actually I'll be the first PH doctor to
go and work there (the mission will be very short), and of course they count
a lot on the "magic" of PH.
In the region there is a refugee camp where Médecins sans frontières work,
but there are also thousands of internal displaced people.

There are milions of things that can be done there as far as public health
is concearned, ideas are not the problem. My problem is that I'm pretty much
ignorant about culture and communication of the region, i.e. how do they
percieve their health? How do they perceive illness? How important
traditional healing is over there? Is there some lesson learned I could
enjoy? And what about antropology? ...?

Did I give a picture of my problem?

I would be very grateful to all those of you who can help me.
thanks in advance

sarah bernhardt, MD
UO Epidemiologia
Villa Margherita IOT
Viale Michelangelo, 41
50125 Firenze
IT

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies
Centre (RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts
should include attribution to the original sources.