(Please reply to Al-Hassan Conteh <[log in to unmask]>.)

Dear Colleagues:

Greetings!

I'm very pleased to join the Forced Migration Listserv, and to respond
to the List Moderator's request that I introduce myself to the group.
I'm a native of Liberia, which, as you know, is now a war-torn country.

I'm currently a research Fellow at the Solomon Asch Center for Study of
Ethnopolitical Conflict at the University of Pennsylvania, where I took
my Ph.D. in regional science and demography in 1993. My current research
interest is on the effects of the Liberian civil war on human
development in the Mano River Region: Liberia, Sierra Leone & Guinea.
Before joining the Asch Center, I served as the Vice President for
Academic Affairs and Professor of Demography at the University of
Liberia (March 1996 to December, 2000).  I'm currently writing a book
tentatively titled: "Population, Identity and Group Dynamics in the
Liberian Civil War: An Analysis of Some Causes, Consequences and
Transformation of Conflict in Africa's First Republic."  The book will
be published by the Edwin Mellen Press (New York) in November 2002.
Here at Asch, I'm also taking the lead in organizing a conference on
Liberia this spring at Penn.  The preliminary program of the conference
is attached for your information.  [List mod.'s note:  I've posted the
conference announcement in a separate message.]

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of this distinguished group of
scholars.  I look forward to mutually productive deliberations and contacts.

With kind regards,

Al-Hassan Conteh

--
Al-Hassan Conteh, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Solomon Asch Center for Study of Ethnopolitical Conflict
University of Pennsylvania
St. Leonard's Court, Suite 305
3819-33 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Tel: (215) 573-0656
Fax: (215) 573-0653

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies
Centre (RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts
should include attribution to the original sources.