Dear All,

Nigel has said "the ALGAO lists are agreed. The lists are usually the property of those who compiled them and it is up to the list owners to handle their management".

And Paul has said "these lists were compiled over a period of time (partly my fault for delays) but they did involve two rounds of consultation, and they were formally agreed by the ALGAO SMR committee on behalf of ALGAO as the 'owners' of the lists. However, this was envisaged as only the first stage, to get a core list out that could then be modified ... candidate terms ought to be submitted to the ALGAO SMR committee - I can't recall this happening yet (perhaps we need to explain the Inscription procedures a bit more clearly?) but it is clear there are some terms out there, so why not send them in via Nigel as list maintainer, and we can get things moving properly and in a more orderly way".

This is the nub of the problem.  The procedures for introducing new terms or updating scope notes, etc are unclear and not inclusive.  The list maintainers haven't set out their stall properly.

When I was consulted on the ALGAO - Inscription lists, I made a number of comments and suggestions.  Nobody came back to me with a formal published document to show the final list and scope notes, to show me how my suggestions had been incorporated or not.  The ALGAO SMR committee approved the word lists without circulating a final ALGAO document.  The procedures for a bringing a candidate term into the final list are unclear.  What's the difference between candidate terms, auxiliary lists, and the standard list ??  How long do terms have to be candidates or auxiliaries before they become standard ?  I made a number of suggestions for candidate terms in respect of parks and gardens and local terminology, but I haven't a clue if anybody has taken these on board. A little feedback, including a hard copy manual on the topic, to list members might just go down a treat.  If the process of list creation and maintenance isn't transparent and formalised, how do you expect members to get enthused and involved in the process ?

Cheers,
Neil

      WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information
that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not
necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.