GIS metadata - a thank you

*With apologies for cross-posting*

Many thanks to all those who replied to my query.  There is clearly a need to sort this one out and I will be particularly interested in following progress in Cornwall, thanks Bryn and Northampton, thanks Chris, as they develop their respective corporate initiatives.  In Bath & North East Somerset we have a GIS working group of which I am a member and our remit at the moment is to secure funding for the implementation of a corporate GIS (currently all ad hock and v expensive use of individual MapInfo licences and every version under the sun!).  Metadata came up at our last meeting and the majority of members smiled politely!  The Northampton metadata working group is clearly the way forward here.

I am still slightly puzzled however.  I have had a number of good ideas, the simplest of which has been Christine Addison's contribution following on from Sara Poppy which uses the Dublin core. Others however refer to the NGDF guidelines which are clearly more detailed.  What to do?

I am tempted to use the Dublin Core which AHDS also refer to as a link into the  MapInfo Table but set up something more detailed in accord with NGDF.  Or am I barking up the wrong tree and confusing two different approaches.

My thanks once again to all it has been very interesting and useful.

Bob Sydes
Archaeological Officer
Bath & North East Somerset Council

The views and comments expressed in this email are confidential to the recipients
and should not be passed on to others without permission. This email message does
not necessarily express the views of Bath & North East Somerset Council and should
be considered personal unless there is a specific statement to the contrary.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all
known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.

Making Bath & North East Somerset a better place to Live, Work and Visit.