Roger Odin's "For a Semio-Pragmatics of Film" would be
a good base from which to do a more specific study of
the assertion of value in relation to contmeporary
audience. I think that it is actually in "Film Theory:
An Anthology" by Stam and Miller. Its a bit old
(1983)and is maybe a bit too 'meta-theoretical' for
some but hey i like it. Perhaps Rorty's "a pragmatists
progess" might help to, though im not sure when I last
saw it in print.

Best

David Gove Surman