 ___ Eric ___
| what did you people think about _From Hell_?
 ___

It was stylish, but lacked any real overarching point.  So there never felt
like there was some urgency or the like.  It tried playing up the Masonic
stuff but in the end it was just a nut-case who happened to be a mason.  So
at the end I felt a "so-what?"

Further the same basic plot had been done before in the 1970's in a Sherlock
Holmes film.  (I forget the name of the film)

One thing interesting I noticed is that they made sure the while Heather
Graham played a prostitute she was never shown as a prostitute.  Instead she
is basically portrayed as an innocent "virgin."  I assume they did this
because merely saying she's a prostitute means it never really clicks with
us.  If we were to see her doing the same things the other prostitutes do
we'd immediately lose the sympathy for her.  (Or so the film makers assume)
So it descends quickly into the old Hollywood stereotype of the prostitute
with the heart of gold who isn't *really* a prostitute.  (In the sense of
connecting her with those acts)

-- Clark Goble --- [log in to unmask] -----------------------------