I was just about to suggest the Borges story "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis, Tertius."  It's highly appropriate.

-Jim

 Catalin Brylla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Sam, sounds like a very interesting topic.

I have nos seen Mulholland Drive yet, but there are
some films that come into my mind, dealing with
alternative realities:

Brazil (the end), 12 Monkeys (the whole story) (Terry
Gilliam)
Sliding Doors (Peter Howitt; two alternative realities
at the same time)

I know you are interested in films, but check out
Argentinian Writer Jorge Luis Borges. His short
stories and essays deal with hyperrealities. I am
almost certain that David Lynch is influenced by him.

Good luck,

Catalin