Read a very interesting article by Gary Younge in yesterday's Guardian - it has many parallels with the work of the Diversity Council.  Some selections are given below.

Shiraz

Getting it together
Gary Younge
Liberals won't like it, conservatives will loathe it, but it's time for black MPs to form their own caucus

"Where race is concerned, black has always been a political colour - one which describes a broad commonality of experience rather than a particular hue".

"We need a parliamentary black caucus - an organisation giving coherence to the efforts of non-white legislators in both chambers and from all parties which could intervene at all levels of the decision-making process.

We need it because while race does not determine their politics, it does inform them. They need to meet, not so they can agree but so they can discuss and disagree, force issues on to the agenda that would otherwise be ignored and help to mould policies which would otherwise be imposed. Together, they could add a black dimension to general issues and a general dimension to black issues."

Read the whole article by Gary Younge in The Guardian.  Monday July 29, 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,11374,764929,00.html