Has anybody had any experience in making a darkroom and enlarger work stations wheelchair accessible?

I am studying photography at evening classes, this is my second year.  Last year we were introduced to black and white photography and the darkroom, this year more than half of our course is studying black and white and in order to pass we must print our own black and white prints.

Last year I highlighted several problems to my course tutor in the darkroom but two in particular:  the room is small, other students fell over my wheelchair, and to gain access to the enlarger I had to transfer form my wheelchair to a high breakfast stall.  Transferring from wheelchair to stall is not only dangerous but in my case caused lots of swelling and pain in my elbows.  The course tutor promised to have an enlarger work station lowered for this year, but this never happened.

I have suggested to the disability adviser that reasonable adjustments might be: to lower a workstation and to have access to the darkroom when other students were not around with the support of a technician.  I would need the support of a technician or course tutor for advice on my work, and offer solutions when it all goes wrong and for safety!

The Disability Advisers response was - can't make a workstation lower and if they could it may interfere with other students, I could use the darkroom when nobody else was about (did I have a friend) and more annoying she went on to say why did I join the course if the enlargers were not accessible and how was she suppose to know that I was in a wheelchair and needed help.  Of course I mentioned my disability on each enrolment form, exam form, my course tutor was very aware of my disability and the Head of Art was also aware, in addition I have left her loads of messages, and have emailed her numerous times to seek advice on the above problems.

I would like to offer the college possible solutions - any ideas!

Beverley Gull