Beverley -

I am disability officer for Coventry University library (not an expert -
more someone to shout at!) - but I  use a 9 foot high De Vere enlarger
in my garage at home. That is floor mounted and you can lower the actual
work surface almost to the ground - and unless you are doing very big
enlargements you can lower the head pro rata - which would make it more
accessible (although it is quite a long reach to the controls so I'm not
sure if such a bit of kit would be of use to you.)As far as I know De
Vere went bust some years ago, although their products are still
advertised 2nd hand.

We have in the library several adjustable height tables - if you are
using a smaller enlarger there may be some mileage in suggesting such a
table could be used to carry the enlarger, trays, etc. At its lowest the
table surface is roughly 600 mm above the ground. It is fairly rigid -
but it could be a bit marginal for your purposes. I don't have the
supplier details to hand - but if no one else can provide them I'm sure
I can dig them out.

Something I don't know about but I think I'm right in saying you can get
sticky tape which glows in the dark but not enough compromise darkness
for photographic work - you could consider it (if I'm right) to help
people see your chair.

If you haven't come across them, there is the Disabled Photographers
Society at PO Box 130, Richmond-upon-Thames, Surrey TW10 6XQ., tel 01256
351990, website http://dps-uk.org.uk - sounds as if they would be worth
contacting.

There is also an outfit called REMAP - a loose association of engineers,
parents, handymen (and I suspect it is mostly men) They undertake to
design and make equipment for disabled people where commercial solutions
aren't available. As I like playing with lathes and milling machines
(and am not really interested in steam engines) - I'm involved with them
myself, although no designer. Find their web site at
http://www.remap.org.uk - they may be able to help with modifications to
enlarger controls, etc - if your college would wear it.

I can possibly come up with some other contacts or suggestions if you
want - get back to me if you like.

regards

Arthur Owens Lanchester Library Coventry University