Gordon
When I sent the message below I had not read the other replies you received
which included two from university staff.  I was surprised at what they
said about the approach your lawyers recommend being typical.

This kind of surveillance is certainly not practiced as a rule within Local
Government.  The type of monitoring I typically hear about from other
authorities takes care not to infringe the HRA Article 8 rights of staff so
traffic, not content, is monitored and further investigations made as
appropriate where reasonable suspiscions of wrongdoing arise.  After all,
the HRA requires that ALL  UK legislation be interpreted in a way which is
compatible with the Convention rights and that all public authorities do
not act in a way which is incompatible with them.

I don't think it is in any way unreasonable of you to argue for a more
moderate approach so that the policy is structured and worded in a way
which shows respect for staff and students whilst making it clear that
action will be taken against those abusing the system.

Colette
St Helens Council

----- Forwarded by Colette Healiss/CEXEC/STHMBC on 20/12/2002 14:51 -----

                    Colette
                    Healiss              To:     Gordon Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
                                         cc:
                    20/12/2002           Subject:     Re: Expectations of privacy(Document
                    14:23                link: Colette Healiss)

Gordon

What is RSAMD ?  What do you do there, high level military research?
Does your organisation really propose to monitor in the way you describe or
is it just an empty threat?
This kind of attitude I find surprising in an academic insititution.  I
used to work for a large university where there was neither the will, nor I
should imagine, the means to commit to such a level of surveillance.  In
fact such is the expected volume of traffic in educational establishments
that I am fairly sure it is commonplace for there to be no particular care
taken even over staff browsing on the internet for personal reasons in work
time.  This was certainly the case at the institution I was at.

Colette
St Helens Council

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm