On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:28:02 +0100, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>What about fairness? If a person is prevented from lodging a complaint for
>fear of being open to retribution from the person making the planning
>application, is this fair processing of their personal data? Is it
>necessary to publish details of the person lodging the complaint or should
>the plaintiff (just remembered that word from the law unit I studied at
>Uni!) remain anonymous?

Good question Matthew!

I think that many councils do publish details of objectors on the
assumption that they must, because the register of planning applications is
a public dosument and the planning process must be open & subject to
scrutiny.

I'm not sure that names or other identifying details are needed - only the
nature of the objection.

See http://www.planning.odpm.gov.uk/householders/05.htm particularly
under 'What the Council will do' - the applicant is entitled "certain
background papers used in the preparation of reports. The background papers
will generally include the comments - perhaps in summary form - of
consultees, objectors and supporters which are relevant to the
determination of your application."

No suggestion there that names or other identifying details will / must be
included.

Kirsty E Gray
Information Rights Officer
Gateshead Council

(Note - views expressed are those of the sender, are provided for
discussion and debate and do not necessarily reflect the council's
corporate position.)

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm