Edwina,

I raised this question last year with the SW Data Protection & Security
Group (as was). I got one response - asking more questions as opposed to
giving answers.

Teignbridge also runs an emergency community alarm service that handles
other emergency calls to the Council out of hours. Clients for the alarm
service are informed about, and consent to, recording when they sign up for
the service. So my question eventually came to be the same as yours - how do
you inform other members of the public using the service about recording?

The service manager was reluctant to add anything at the start of a call.
"The line is for emergencies and seconds count". I then investigated how and
why members of the public used the service. In all cases the number was
obtained from printed material - the phone book, leaflets, notices in car
parks, etc. I asked whether a short notice might be added to the contact
information - "calls are recorded".

I think this is as good as it gets. After all it is an emergency line - do
you get told when you ring 999 that calls are recorded? I also think it fits
with Statutory Instrument 2000 No.2699 the Telecommunications (Lawful
Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.
Section 3.(2)(c) the system controller has made all reasonable efforts to
inform every person who may use the telecommunication system in question
that communications transmitted by means thereof may be intercepted.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you get any better answers, or if you don't
agree.

Regards

Paul

Paul Lightowlers (Information Resource Manager)
Teignbridge District Council,
Forde House,
Newton Abbot,
Devon TQ12 4XX.