Hi All
I am currently drafting Mandates for use by Councillors in their surgeries
i.e. when a constituent calls at his surgery and wants to know why he/she
has not been allocated a house and wishes the Councillor to find out from
the local authority what the position is... As you may know, many cases are
not so straightforward but with the forthcoming May elections - what happens
if a case has not been resolved (one of those ongoing sagas) and the
Councillor involved in the case is not re-selected?
I doubt very much whether the newly selected Councillor would have an
automatic right to conclude the complaint/query as this would be disclosing
information to third parties.  I suppose we would have to draw up another
mandate authorising the newly appointed Councillor to receive relevant
information from the old Councillor (with the data subject's consent).
Also, are Councils telling their members that once they have been
de-selected and if cases are finished etc. that they should be shredding
personal information when they are no longer members of the Council or are
there time limits on the storage of this type of data.
Does anyone have any views on these points?
Any information would be greatly appreciated...
Doreen Broom
Access to Information Officer
Scottish Borders Council
Council HQ
Newtown St.Boswells
Melrose
Borders  TD6 0SA

Tel: 01835 826516
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

This email is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright.
Any unauthorised use or disclosure of its content is prohibited.
The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily
be the views held by Scottish Borders Council

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm