From: Couldrey, Paul (Finance, IT - Solihull MBC)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 March 2002 11:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CSA - Just a West Midlands Problem?

Morning All

I have been dealing with requests for data from the CSA lately, firstly
their requests were in an unstructured manner and thus refused.  Now they
tell me that all LA's must supply any data they request without question, I
have asked them to apply a DP exemption (assuming its s.35(1) ).  They are
totally unaware of their requirements in this area, whenever they are asked
for their legal powers for demanding the data, their answers are
unsatisfactory - on occasions threatening myself and other colleagues in the
West Midlands area with imprisonment if we fail to comply, without ever
quoting legal powers (i.e. Act, section and application).

Has anyone else managed in another area to get a solid response to the
question of legal powers and exemption applied?

Maybe I can resolve this before I have to reply to Jiscmail of HMP Letter
headed paper.

Paul Couldrey

Paul Couldrey
Corporate Information Security Manager
Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council

DISCLAIMER:
'This e-mail and files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the
message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and
do not necessarily represent those of Solihull Council unless explicitly
stated otherwise. Solihull Council may monitor the contents of e-mail sent
and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring compliance with
its policies and procedures.'

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm

The information transmitted is intended only
for the person to whom it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.
If you have received this email in error please
notify the Council - see
http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk or email
[log in to unmask] - and then
delete all copies of it from your systems.

Any use of, or any action relying upon, this
information by persons other than the intended
recipient is prohibited.

Although East Ayrshire Council scans incoming
and outgoing emails and email attachments for
viruses we cannot guarantee this communication
to be free of all viruses nor accept any
responsibility for viruses.

Although East Ayrshire Council monitors incoming
and outgoing emails for inappropriate content,
the Council cannot be held responsible for the
views or expressions of the author.

The views expressed may not necessarily be those
of East Ayrshire Council and the Council cannot
be held responsible for any loss or injury
resulting from the contents of this message.