[Hi all, I am afraid that CSL will be *closed* tomorrow (27 Sept). Joanne
will be at a conference on services in Manchester and I have a research
meeting in London. Back on Monday. Best wishes, John.]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From: TIIP Editor (Jim Bessen) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 September 2002 15:37
To: TIIP Newsletter
Subject: TIIP Newsletter 2002-3

Newsletter
TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Issue 2002-3

To view the contents click on:
http://www.researchoninnovation.org/tiip/index.htm

* * * *
CONTENTS:

1. Proposal for 3rd World Pharmaceuticals

Jean Lanjouw grapples with promoting development of drugs for
3rd world diseases while making drugs for global diseases affordable
in the 3rd world.

2. Open Source Software Development

Jennifer Kuan finds evidence that open source software projects are
debugged faster and better.  She argues that this is because
the developers are users.

3. Different Industries, Different Patent Policy

Robert Hunt argues against "one-size-fits-all" patent policy.
Patents affect different industries differently and the optimal
policy encourages firm entry in innovative industries.

4. Licensing Seeds

One industry-specific problem arises with seeds: consumers can
use this year's product to produce next year's seed.
Gokhan Ozertan et al look at the social benefits of different kinds
of licensing arrangements for seeds.