>possible link between deterministic dynamics and stochastic
>mechanisms involve the use of an alpha-stable levy process which
>contains the  Gaussian and Ornstein-Uhlenbeck stochastic models as a
>special case.   Because alpha-stable levy processes generate fractal
>stochastic paths with  varying fractal dimensionality, the
>possibility of reconciling such stochastic  models with non-linear
>deterministic processes in the chaotic regime looks  promising" -

Ooooh, I just love it when you talk dirty!

Lighten up guys*,  this is part of a discourse from statistical physics, or whatever, and is manifestly not about practicalities. I could be just as dismissive about some of the management theory stuff which goes only marginally less far over my head than this.(six sigma? is this the prequel to Blake's Seven?)

And it's not as if there haven't been theoretical debates about what constitutes random (stochastic) / deterministic / emergence on this list.

And I fully agree with Frank (it had to happen one day!) that "meaning is created by the receiver"

Which is why I will ask Richard Heath, who is speaking at the research methods day, which will be rather numerical - for better or worse - to remember where his audience are coming from.

Love and peace
Chris

*( and gals for people who ARE NOT GUYS)

(BTW I _think_ he was exploring the territory around randomness and determinism and self-similarity, where analytical methods and models surely do have a place)
--
Chris Burton, [log in to unmask] on 17/12/2002