Its a false dichotomy between social & material-based theories, as the two can inform the other. But as a result of the duality of system/user, the relationship is dominanted by the material, so that it is out of balance with the expected consequences.

S.
-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Smits (Symphoenix Ltd) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 September 2002 08:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: email blizzard

Thanks, Trevor, what you say DOES resonate with me.

I see no harm in ‘seeding’ for a social movement, for instance. What I would say is that it may not be wise to DEPEND on it as some sort of panacea. The issues facing the NHS Modernisation Agency are real and very tough. That ‘toughness’ does not disappear. By truly engaging people (and that is a prerequisite for social movements) we CAN overcome much of the resistance perhaps now felt.

Re Stacey. As far as I know Ralph DOES come from a group therapy background and much what he says (and the social theories he uses to support it) comes from it (Mead, Elias, etc.). He therefore DOES NOT come from the world of inanimate objects as you suggest. Actually, many in the complexity community (of which I also am a member) would DISAGREE with him, because they tend to take lessons from inanimate nature  (like the Complex Adaptive Systems view) and Ralph believes that may not always be helpful (sometimes it is, often it is not BECAUSE we deal with people and not with molecules, for instance)!

Where I very much agree with him, is that the prevailing way of thinking in modern western organsations IS the engineering approach. That is what Ralph mentions on the ‘outsider in’ (‘engineering’) way of management. I interpreted his talk as a carefully phrased ‘rant’ against this approach.

Take the Modernisation Agency. The fact that Helen Bevan’s group is called RE-ENGINEERING to me is quite telling.

Words ARE important. As long as we think we can ‘fix’ the NHS via ‘re-engineering’ (which literally is the reshuffling of parts and business processes) we may live in a paradigm that does not recognize the richness of human interaction.

So, my take on it is that he and you may very much agree what is going on. But then again, that is MY interpretation, based on MY experience and past and MY future expectations of OTHER PEOPLE’S words J.

Regards,

Frank Smits

Symphoenix Ltd

Tel: +44 (0)1732 450 495