-----Original Message-----
From: Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and
social care [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Ceri Brown
Sent: 16 September 2002 11:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: queue theory

[log in to unmask] writes:

Therefore any attempt to manage them as if they were in equilibrium is
doomed to fail.

Is thinking of dynamic equilibrium the key?

We aren't used to thinking in this way, only in terms of static
equilibrium. Scientific method is a good example - keep everything else
constant and only change one parameter. That's why most Intensive Care
research can barely be "termed scientific."

What one can do in dynamic systems (e.g. Sepsis) is make perturbations
in one, or a few areas, and observe the response against a desired
"target." The fashion for "one size fits all" organisational solutions
is a result of scientific method and political acceptability.

We are talking of the manger/poloitician/doctor in  "heroic,"  mode. The
one who knows the true way and encourages/cajoles/forces others to
follow the method, without thought for consequences elsewhere. (This is
the Holywood philosophy of managerialism which appears to be being
played out elsewhere, in real time, at the moment)

So how to manage in a Complex environment?  Act local, think global.

Any help?

Ceri Brown
Critical Care Programme
Project Development and Research
0161 720 2342 (Secretary)
07659 120 038 (pager)
07876 230 561 (mobile)
Thanks to my variable clinical commitments, calls to my mobile won't be
answered promptly. Please leave a message, or page me.

I'm based at North Manchester General Hospital but my postal address is:

c/o Critical Care Programme,
4th Floor,
St John's House,
Leicester. LE1 6NB