Niki Reid writes:
 > The previous FORALL thread briefly touched on many-to-one
 > assignments,...

 > I know that in other places in the standard, such as array
 > assignment, non-determinism is prohibited, but this is not an
 > array assignment: each assignment in the given example is
 > treated as though it were scalar.
 >
 > The overall result, though, is a non-deterministic FORALL
 > construct, which I can't find prohibited in the standard.
 >
 > Am I missing something, or it this as intended?

You are missing section 7.5.4.4.  That's exactly what the first
half of that section is about.  This is a many-to-one asignment.
That section defines the term and says that such are ilegal in
a forall.  It is specifically about foralls.

No, each assignment is *NOT* treated as though it were a
scalar.  It is part of a forall.  There are differences; the
many-to-one issue is one of them.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]   |  experience comes from bad judgment.