Harry Millwater asked:

> - can someone recommend a Fortran public domain routine for solving a full
> unsymmetric system of equations that might be faster [than NR]?

Others have already recommended LAPACK.  In connection with LAPACK, there
is also ATLAS, which means "Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software."
This is work done by Dongarra and his colleagues, and it fits well with
LAPACK.  Installing ATLAS takes a while, as the installer tries out all
kinds of tricks on your computer, to arrive at optimal block sizes and
other details of strategy.  Once it's installed, it works quite well.
ATLAS is coded in C, but Fortran interfaces are provided.

You might also wish to contact Robert van de Geijn <[log in to unmask]>
concerning FLAME.

--
What fraction of Americans believe   |  Van Snyder
Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?  |  [log in to unmask]