Dear all

This is a reminder that the next seminar of the Caribbean Research Seminar in the North, will take place on October 11, at the University of Central Lancashire, Preston, in the Adelphi Committee Room.  The exciting programme is below--we hope you will be able to come.  PLEASE contact Alan Rice to let him know if you are coming. (Dr. Alan J. Rice, [log in to unmask], 01772 893020)  The AMATAS Project is sponsoring a good quality lunch for everyone who attends, so there is an additional need to know numbers this time.  Please also tell Alan whether or not you would like to stay for dinner after the seminar.

Some of the papers given at previous seminars are now available online, as part of the Society for Caribbean Studies website http://www.scsonline.freeserve.co.uk/carib.htm Follow the link to conference papers--volume 3 and check out the papers by Karina Williamson, Alasdair Pettinger, and Beth Cross.  The CRSN seminar programmes are also linked to the SCS site, under Northern Network.

Please note also that the January seminar will take place on January 24th, at the University of Leeds.  Confirmed speakers so far include Gemma Robinson (Newcastle) and Tracey Skelton (Loughborough).  We will be sending out a full programme soon.

If anyone would like to suggest people who should be invited to speak in future (or volunteer themselves), please contact me.  We are also looking for a host venue for the seminar in May 2003.

Best wishes

Diana Paton

The programme for October 11 is as follows:

1.35-2.25       Gender, Migration and Identity: Caribbean Women's Narratives and Post War British History
Wendy Webster, University of Central Lancashire

2.30-3.20       She Tries Her Tongue: Speech and Silence in the Poetics of M. Nourbese Philip
Lee Jenkins, University College, Cork

3.20-3.40       Coffee

3.40-4.30       Authorship and Intent: Esteban Montejo and Miguel Barnett's Autobiographic Project
                        Fionnghuala Sweeney, University of Liverpool

4.40-5.30       Lubaina Himid: History Paintings
                        Lubaina Himid, University of Central Lancashire

A reservation will be made for dinner at a nearby restaurant for those who wish to join us after the seminar.

For maps of Preston and the University, see http://www.uclan.ac.uk/guide2/maps/preston.htm and http://www.uclan.ac.uk/guide2/maps/navigator/index.htm