I was forced to play football and rugby at my High School in Scotland. I just kept away fom the ball, the centre of play, the scrum. I used to deliberately forget my kit so that I couldn't play. In those days the teacher could belt you on the hands for that. Instead I used to play knifey and knuckley with the son of a sociology lecturer; another opt out who played guitar and wore his hair long. It was pretty much the same with other sports. Mind you I liked fishing for brown trout in the Highlands and going for walks in the countryside.
I suppose I just didn't care for extreme displays of conventional masculinity. Pretty much the same nowadays.

David Menzies
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 1:12 PM
  Subject: Re: nothing whatsoever to do with football

  I watch football. I used to play football. I used to coach kids and referee matches. I used to follow Spurs and still do but no hard feelings Geraldine but mostly I am a Plymouth Argyle supporter and enjoy their lording it over the present third division. On the continent being a poet or some other kind of culturally inclined personage and being a follower of football as well is quite a normal occurance but here in Britain - our class legacy again - it is looked at strangely by many people. Those who do not like football are very proud of the fact and those who do like it reailise when confessing their passion that they are admitting something of their humble origins. So this is a message to all you snobs out there who like to proudly express your dislike and disinterent in football - grow up. Do I go around feeling proud because I dislike wrtestling or have no interest in darts No I do not. If you dislike or have no interest in! football then fine, but football is not the opposite of poetry so stop acting as though you had just been touched by something majestic. Message endeth here. Anyone else want to kick this ball around?

  Tim A.