How horrible was my first Poetry Cafe experience?

Oh, quite.

I havnt done any performance like that for a long, logn time, and as it
finally got to me (being the last person out of 29 people didnt really
help), I finally got up, read what I had brought and suddenly thought.

My god. That, was utter crap.

All these other people...performing. I will tell you, the quality was
extremely high - higher than my hastily printed out bullshit from two years
ago that I read. The majority of them were funny. My stuff, isnt funny. My
stuff, is sometimes hardly understandable.

So as I got up there, I suddenly found something happening that hadnt
happened to me for many, many years. My hands were shaking, and I was
sweating profusely.

Fuck this, I thought, I should of just watched. What the hell am I doing
here - I have no right to be here - I, am no WAY near as good as any of
these people.

So I read it out, and realised when I'd finished that yes, it was crap, and
yes, I was nowhere near as good as anyone else that night, and yes, I wasnt
funny (its hard when you follow on from 29 other people, the majority of
who are dripping wit, and you talk about politics and strangeness).

So it was a good lesson. I now wonder if I will ever do it again, I think,
maybe, that my stuff is best never seen or heard - or maybe its jsut the
delectible crush of ego. Perhaps I should of prepared more - I didnt
realise it would be quite so formal really.

Either way, I have no idea if I should ever go back again, or give up
completely on doing public readings.

Fletch.