Hi folks,

We're having a few problems organising a new course that we are running.
The situation is this - we have a course which has four groups of
students. We have assigned each group a mentor (some of which have
system administrator privelges on our system). The problem is that we
want students to be able to email their mentors from within their group
- so we decided to make the mentors members of the relevant group.

The difficulty that we are having is that system administrators do not
appear when you list the users for the course - meaning we can't add
them to groups within the course. We tried making them teaching
assistants for the course but this made no difference. Should system
administrators have seperate log ons for the purpose of participating in
courses?

I can understand the sense of this as it would mean that you have to use
a specific log on to make system wide changes, a bit like logging on as
the root user or as Administrator to your machine  (you shouldn't
*really* do it more than you have to!)

If anyone has any experience or advice in this area it would be greatly
appreciated.

Another thing that has come from this is that it seems a shame that you
can't give particular users special roles within groups like group
leader or mentor.

Andy.

--
Andy Dorman                  TITLE Unit, Computing Services
Web Developer                  +44  (0)1227 767700 ext 2016