We currently have one client using a Sicare Pilot (we previously had two). They were
both installed and managed by a previous colleague of mine and I have only had
experience of managing the device in recent months, since I have had to change its
configuration.

It is used by an MS patient (middle-aged woman, not technically-minded), whose
speech is now quite slurred and changes through the day. She uses it without a
microphone. She uses it for community alarm, telephone, door entry and TV/video. It
seems to work well, although turning the TV down, when loud, does seem to take 2-3
attempts. The main noise barrier currently is the new washing machine in the ajoining
kitchen, and this may require some new speech learning, with it on in the
background. I have been pleasantly surprised by just how effective the system has
been and I am now considering supplying it for another MS patient, whome I have
previously discounted it for. The use of multiple patterns, to account for different
intonation/noise etc., seems to work well, although having to access the client at
different times through the day can have practical problems. Obviously any such
system should also have the backup of having a switch input, to at least raise an
alarm.

I have recently been in contact with the Product Manager of Sicare and he informs
me that there is a new version of the software soon to be released, although I do not
know the details of the approach they will be using for speech recognition this time
round.
Jeremy Linskell CEng,MIPEM,SRCS
Clinical Engineer
Co-ordinator, Electronic Assistive Technology Service
Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology Centre
Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, DD1 9SY, Scotland
tel +1382-496286, fax +1382-496322
email: [log in to unmask]
(backup email: [log in to unmask])