Attached is an announcement forwarded on behalf of Doro Boehme, Special
Collections
Librarian, Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection, John M Flaxman
Library/School
of the Art Institute of Chicago:

Dear colleagues and friends,
May I kindly ask for your attention:
I am currently in the process of preparing for an exhibition of
"exhibition catalogs as works of art". I am selecting from a multitude of
formats and aesthetic approaches by artists, galleries, museums, etc. to
expand the common function of the catalog as mere memory and inventory of a
show into its own, autonomous work of art.
For this event I will be producing a catalog with original contributions by
Christian Boltanski (artist, Paris/France), Mary Jane Jacob (writer and
independent curator, Chicago), Barbara Moore (art historian, publisher and
rare-book dealer, also proprietor of Bound & Unbound), Anthony Elms (art
critic and editor of WhiteWalls, Chicago) and Alan Cravitz (private
collector of artists' books and exhibition catalogs, Chicago). The book and
CD-ROM will be housed in a specifically designed and vaccuformed acrylic
box and can be purchased for the price of $ 32.- plus sh/h
 For details and images of the mock-up please go to
http://www.artic.edu/saic/art/flasch/flasch_exhibit.html or
http://www.artic.edu/saic/art/flasch/exhibitcatalog.html (It's well worth
taking a quick look; the design of the item is rather unconventional).
Now comes the less pleasant, yet more important part:
Unfortunately budgets are meager (putting it mildly) and I am thus forced
to offer this item on a pre-subscription basis to be able to produce it
later.
I therefore kindly ask you to fax in or email me your order NOW (between
July 1st and August 15th) so that you can receive from us a pro-forma
invoice. As soon as you have processed it and we have received payment from
you we will send you a confirmation notice.
Actual production of the catalog will start in the Fall but you will not
receive your copy until February 2003, as I want to add installation shots
to the CD-ROM.
Thank you for supporting this project and, please, come see the show, if
you're in town.
Doro

_____

AnneDorothee Boehme
Special Collections Librarian
Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 South Wabash
Chicago / Il 60603-3103

312.899.5098 (phone)
312.899.1851 (fax)