RE: Vital records

The standard RM texts provide extensive guidance on this topic.  For an easily digestible approach may I suggest Chapter 4 of my colleague Elizabeth Parker's book 'Managing Your Organisation's Records' (LA Publishing 1999)?  The chapter is entitled 'Sorry there wasn't time to switch off the light!- Protecting vital records'.  It has a particularly useful decision tree (fig. 4.1, p 62) and guidance on protecting vital records.

Since all organisations are different, what's vital will differ from one to another. Like using other people's retention schedules, using someone else's VR list might be potentially hazardous.  There really is no substitute for getting out there, collecting the data and doing the analysis, in consultation with your colleagues.

Peter Emmerson

Director

Emmerson Consulting Limited

47a Salisbury Road

Harpenden

Hertfordshire  AL5 5AR

Phone   01582 769842

Fax     01582 761740

E-mail  [log in to unmask]

This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and notify Emmerson Consulting by return e-mail to the above address.

Emmerson Consulting Limited is registered in England No. 3607347.  Registered Office: Charter Court, Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 5GE