Resource has already commissioned Liverpool University Centre for
Archives Studies (LUCAS), Anne Millman of McCann Matthews Millman Ltd
and Stuart Ede of proSede to provide 'snapshot diagnostics of data
flow' in the archives, museums and libraries domain respectively.
These are being presented to Resource next week.  They will presumably
feed directly into the work of the Cultural Heritage Consortium.

I post this publicly so that all those in the archival domain who have
so kindly responded at length to our enquiries already will get an
idea of the broader picture.  It also gives me the opportunity to
thank you all for your assistance.

Caroline Williams
LUCAS

--------------- reply ----------------
> With apologies for cross-posting
>
> Resource, the Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries is
developing
> ways of evaluating the impact that the sector makes on society and
the
> economy.  As part of this work, it has commissioned the Cultural
> Heritage Consortium (see www.cultural-heritage.org ) to review the
current
> provision of quantitative time series data, to explore the extent to
which
> the data can be used to
> evaluate impact.
>
> We have identified a range of statistics that are produced on a
> national basis and we are now exploring whether or not there are any
> regular statistical exercises being carried out at regional or local
> level.
>
> We are interested in statistical series that cover archives,
libraries or
> museums or any combination of them within a region, or a smaller
> geographical area such as a city conurbation.  We are also
interested in
> statistics collected regularly by individual institutions or local
> authorities where the statistics are collected in addition to one of
the
> regular, national surveys.
>
> The aim of our work is to put forward a framework that can be used
> across the sector to improve the collection and presentation of
> statistical information.  Your help in identifying or providing
statistical
> data at this early stage would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> If you have any information for us, please contact Meg Goodman, CHC
Project