What actually makes anything a profession?

OED says "The occupation which one professes to be skilled in and to
follow. A vocation in which a professed knowledge of some department of
learning or science is used in its application to the affairs of others
or in the practice of an art founded upon it. Applied spec. to the
three learned professions of divinity, law, and medicine; also to the
military profession."

Nothing there about qualifications or getting paid for doing it.
I'm employed in a job that would probably get classed as "IT
Professional" but have no formal qualifications whatsoever (though do
have knowledge and apply it for others). So what is that distinguishes
the keen and knowledgable "amateur" from the "professional"?

And what about members of oldest profession - could one of them sign my
passport form? I can just imagine it. "You doing business love? Er, how
much for a full passport form...?"

Peter Higginbotham
Oxford University