It is certainly interesting work that you are doing.  I would like to hear
more about the excavation at Laskill.  the couple of sentences that refer to
the excavated furnace make it sound like a blast furnace.  The reference to
Kent in the 1490s of course merely refers to the first blast furnace in
England of the standard early modern type.  Brian Awty's work has pushed
traced this back via Bray to Namur in the early 15th century.  Work in
Germany and Sweden suggests blast furnaces of some kind go back at least to
the fourteenth century,  though probably not in England.  David Cranstone
has several times suggested that we should not be surprised to find such
furnaces in England and I wonder if that is not what this is.

On the other hand figures quoted by Schubert (History of Iron & Steel 148)
suggest that there were two bloomhearths and an output of about one ton per
week.   25 tons per year per bloom hearth is a typical figure for powered
bloomeries, as indicated by data from Llantrissant and Kyrkeknot (or
Byrkeknot).

Peter King,
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,