This is not my field at all.  However perhaps I can make a few comments
usefully.

1. From reading about mythology many years ago, I recall that there are a
number of Indo-European gods,  which were classified described as hammer
gods.  I think this may have included the German Odin, latin Juppiter, Greek
Zeus, and Indian Indra (?).  Perhaps they were all associated with metal
working,  which was no doubt regarded as a relatively 'magic' activity.  it
may be useful for you also to look at other mythologies.

2.  On a visit to a site in north Wales, Peter Crew showed members of
Historical Metallurgy Society an Iron Age anvil, or rather half of one.
This was merely a large boulder.  The other half had probably been removed
for continued use as an anvil after it broke.

3.  The description of nimbus clouds as like an anvil refers to a relatively
modern blacksmith's anvil and is purely descriptive of its shape.  I do not
know when iron anvils came into use.  Since these clouds may be thunder
clouds,  their association with hammer gods is however perhaps not
inappropriate nevertheless.

4.  One of the lectures at the launch of the book Furness Iron a year or two
back was on iron in the Scottish Highlands.  It was stated that the
chieftain's smith was quite a high ranking member of society in a Highland
clan.  He was apparently making weapons with bloomery iron,  with iron ore
as his raw material.  I am not sure who the speaker was.
Peter King,
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,
Stourbridge