The following is a good start (I do not endorse much of this):

[PDF]Statistics for Homeland Defense (ASA Chance Magazine)
www.stat.duke.edu/chance/151.banks.pdf

I addressed this topic in my presentation titled "Bioterrorism - What are we
measuring?" at the ICED 2002 (International Conference on Emerging Infectious
Diseases - CDC/ASM).

I recommended that at this stage, emphasis should be given to qualitative
methods in order to identify and characterize relevant variables and
constructs that should be measured. We statistician can then go on to model
and predict - otherwise, what are we measuring?

Regards,
Rossi A. Hassad, MPH, PhD
Assistant Professor, Mercy College, NY