Dear Colleagues/Members:

Since the 9/11 WTC disaster a few statisticians have suggested the use of
complex statistical models for research on bioterrorism. As a statistician I
have great difficulty supporting such suggestions, as I believe that we are
yet to discover and define meaningful variables and constructs that can be
measured and hence modeled. I would take the position that priority should be
given to qualitative research
such as case studies, focus group discussions, ethnographic studies, etc.,
which may then provide scope for our trade. I would appreciate hearing your
views.

Thanks,
Rossi